Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Router Progress

I haven't been able to spend a lot on the router lately partially because I have had parts on order and I've just had so many other things going on.

I spent some time today back tracking a little bit. I had dumped a full linear bearing worth of balls on the floor by inadvertantly pulling the rail out and lost a few.. these needed to be replaced which meant taking the Z axis all apart. Other issues abound.

Here are pics from today. I had to leave because it was so hot and I am still waiting (six months) for windows and hence AC. I have two free days left in the week and plan on being done with the Z and finish machining parts for the X axis as well.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

A new Welder in the Family

My son decided he had to learn how to weld this morning. So I gave him a few pointers, a mask and gloves and let him go to it.

Here are a few pics.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Milling Machine is up and running!

I thought I had the mill together and working and found that the knee would rock a little when taking heavy cuts. The knee lock also wasn't working so well and I had broken motor mounts. I took the time to look up repairs online and progressively fixed them. Most of the repairs were made using parts fabricated or modified on mill or lathe.

Another shot of the mill in use. I haven't used a boring head in a while and managed to only burn out one bar. This is the router mount in progress.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Follow up to new milling machine

Here are some follow on pics.

I've slowly been cleaning it up and painting it. I still have some work around the base and detailing. I only primed and epoxied it.. we'll see how long it lasts. A close up of the head after paint is below, It ended up being easier to just remove some parts after the fact and clean them rather than removing them and taping the holes. I chose off white because that is the color I had seen in R&D shops as a kid.